The Northern Light is the second ship that was built in the shipyard in Tórshavn. The keel was layed on April 20 1943.
The ship was handed to its first owner on May 5 1945. The day the second world war ended.
The following years Norðlýsið was used for fishing with both handline, longline and jigging reel. In 1948 there was a shortage of bait and the ship tried fishing for herring with nets. This was a success and the start of the great herring fishing industry that was crucial for the Faroes in the 50s and 60s.